Tuesday, December 12, 2006

"Are you ready for Christmas?"

How many times have you heard this already? Working with the public daily, I have been asked this same question no fewer than 5,276 times. What does this mean? Am I supposed to say "Yes!" Or do I reply with "It's coming whether I'm ready or not!"? Or do I take a different route altogether? Maybe say something like, "Do birds have wings? Heck yeah I'm ready! Woo Hoo!!"

I deal with this dilemma all the time. Of course, I've never been one for useless conversations with open-ended empty greetings such as "How are you today?", after which the asker has no intention of actually finding out the status of my emotional and physical well-being.

I wish I could say that these people, deep down inside, are really asking me if I am spiritually prepared for the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, the questioning probably goes no deeper than "Have you got all your shopping done?" I still am left wondering why this question has become so popular and why I have to come up with more and more meaningless responses to this ever-present inquiry.

Am I ready for Christmas? I have a few more gifts to buy and a couple of cards to send out. I've already practiced for and participated in our Christmas musical at First Christian Church. We have a beautiful Frasier Fir tree in our living room nicely decorated with ornaments, including some that pre-date my birth. We have a little train in our front yard that has colorful lights on it and a spot-light shining on our wreathed front door.

For Christmas, in the world's eyes, I am almost ready.

However, I haven't spent any special time in prayer about what new things the Lord could reveal to me during this "Holiday Season." I have thought very little of the amazing implications our Savior's birth has on the world as we know it. I haven't shared this good news with anyone (outside of First Christian Church or First Love Ministries.) I haven't done much at all.

For Christmas, in the world's eyes, I am almost ready.

The older I get, the more and more I realize the importance of those things I have taken for granted for years. It doesn't matter how many gifts I've purchased or how many decorations or how many parties I go to or how many good holiday foods I eat - if I don't have Jesus in the middle of it all.

Jesus is the reason for the season. (Oh, come on...you knew it was coming.)

It is my hope and prayer that each of us will spend a lot more time this season thinking about Jesus than we ever have. There is nothing anywhere that can bring more joy than being close to your Heavenly Father - especially during the remembrance of His Son's birth.

No comments: